Heavy winds, rain and snow made for an accident heavy Christmas Day throughout Southern Indiana.
Especially for one Eckerty family.
At about 4:26 p.m., the English Volunteer Fire Department and the Crawford County Sheriff's Department responded to a house fire at the rental property of Darrell Barrow, of Corydon, located at 1084 S. Main St.
English Volunteer Fire Department personnel work to contain a Christmas Day house fire in Eckerty. Due to fire and water damage, the house, which was uninsured, was a complete loss. Photo Courtesy of Shawn Scott
Three adults and one child were safely evacuated when a neighbor informed the tenants that the attic was aflame.
EVFD Assistant Chief Mike Benham said the tentative point of origin was a junction box in the attic.
Benham said his department has responded to fire-related incidents at the property in the past.
"One was a prior chimney fire from a wood stove, which may or may not be related to this," he said. "We feel that wiring up in the attic area in and near this chimney — there was a junction box that went off towards a porch light — that the occupants had had trouble with appears to be our lowest point of burn."
Due to fire and water damage, the house was a complete loss, and Barrow did not carry insurance on the structure.
"We had the fire knocked out in 20 minutes and remained on the scene until almost six o'clock," Benham said.
The sheriff's department assisted with keeping individuals out of the burning building while firefighters contained the blaze.
The Red Cross was called to assist the family.
"I would commend all the volunteers for the large turnout of volunteer firemen because it could have been a very dangerous situation," CCSD Chief Deputy Shawn Scott said.
"There were houses very close on both sides, so the quick response from volunteers on Christmas Day probably saved three houses."