About Us | Advertise | RSS | Mon, Sep 16 08:40

  • Uebelhor
7_10_Proctor_House
shadow
The Crawford County Historical and Genealogical Society's William Proctor House east of Marengo is now listed on both the Indiana State and National Register of Historic Places. Photo Courtesy of Becky Hammond Stetter

Proctor House now on historic registers


July 10, 2013
The Crawford County Historical and Genealogical Society has announced that the William Proctor House east of Marengo has been listed on both the Indiana State and National Register of Historic Places. The pioneer Proctor-Wood Cemetery is included in the property's historic recognition.

The National Register, administered by the National Park Service, is the official list of United States historic sites considered worthy of preservation. Addition to the Register honors the property by recognizing its importance to the community, state or nation.

The Proctor House is eligible for the National Register under Criterion A for its association with the settlement of Crawford County and Criterion C for its distinctive characteristics of method of period construction.

William Proctor began purchasing land in Crawford County in 1825, just seven years after the Indiana General Assembly established the county. By 1835, he was a postmaster for the county, and the settlement around his house was known as Proctorville until the post office moved to nearby Marengo in 1852.

In addition to being a postmaster, Proctor was a storekeeper. His home, post office and store sat on the stagecoach route.

The Proctor House was gifted to the CCHGS in 2004 by the Marengo Town Council.

The society's Proctor House committee, co-chaired by Hugh and Evelyn Jackson and Bobby and Mary Wiseman, has managed the initial work of stabilizing and maintaining the home and grounds.

The CCHGS now seeks grants and donations to restore the house for use in educational and historical activities, including programs and events. Tax-deductible donations may be made to the CCHGS and mailed to 218 N. First St., Leavenworth, IN 47137. Donations may also be made to the Crawford County Historical and Genealogical Society Endowment Fund managed by the Community Foundation of Crawford County, with checks payable to the CFCC at P.O. Box 209, Milltown, IN 47145. It must be specified that they are for the CCHGS.

"Our pledge is to graciously preserve and present the history of our county to present and future generations," Jim Kaiser, former CCHGS president, said.

Becky Hammond Stetter, the current president, deemed the house "a jewel waiting for us to polish a treasure Crawford County should not lose."

"All of Crawford County can be proud of the Indiana State and National Register's recent recognition of the historical role the Proctor House today represents in the early development of our community," Roberta Toby, the state-appointed Crawford County historian, added.

A public celebration will be held at a later date. Watch this newspaper for further details.

The house is located east along S.R. 64.

For more information about the CCHGS, visit its website at www.cchgs.info.

print
Print
email
Email Link
Comment
Feedback
share
Share
Barbara Shaw
Schuler Bauer
News links
Monday
09 - 16 - 19
08:40
S M T W T F S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930
Corydon Instant Print
Veterans section
Bennett and Bennett Insurance