Posted on

Physical barriers likely to remain at judicial complex

Physical barriers likely to remain at judicial complex Physical barriers likely to remain at judicial complex
By Stephanie Taylor Ferriell, Senior Staff Writer, [email protected]

Meeting June 30, the Crawford County coronavirus task force said local restrictions would remain in place through July 7.

“We’ll leave things in place until our next meeting,” said Morton Dale, president of the board of commissioners, noting he didn’t want to “jump the gun” in case Gov. Eric Holcomb extended some restrictions.

The governor did that July 2, pulling back on moving Indiana to Phase 5 of his Back on Track plan. Holcomb, instead, instituted Phase 4.5, which keeps in place many of the restrictions in Phase 4.

Task force members said at their meeting last week that the physical barriers installed when the judicial complex re-opened to public traffic will most likely stay in place. The Plexiglas shields were installed prior to public traffic being allowed back in the building.

“Honestly, that’s something that maybe we should look at as a permanent fixture,” said Eric Satterfield, the county’s environmental health specialist, noting the barriers could help prevent the spread of flu next winter.

Dale agreed.

“I hate to go to the work and expense to remove them and then have to put them back up,” he said.

On another topic, Satterfield said since the state has taken over tracking cases, without county health department involvement, information about positive cases is slower in coming.

EMS director Tim Farris said last week that one of his crew members, who was exposed to a positive COVID-19 case, had been tested and was awaiting results. He noted the ambulance service’s run volume is increasing.

Farris said the potential for a larger number of runs is high during the summer due to tourists visiting local attractions.

“The population seems to double at times with the lake and the parks,” he said.

EMA director Aaron Bye said the state is getting ready to stop coordinating the supply of personal protective equipment.

“They’ll be putting it back on the counties to locate themselves,” he said.

Farris expressed concern about the change.

“You’re going to be looking at months to get N95s (masks),” he said. “ … The state and hospitals will get it first. A little county ambulance service, we’re going to be last in line.”

Bye noted he was picking up some PPE July 1. That equipment is dedicated to the local school system.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LATEST NEWS